ABOUT THE SCHOOL
Marchand Combined School/Bishop Charles Gachet R.C Primary School.
The Principal Mrs. S. Lubin
Population at present is 173 students 106 male 67 female.
Reigning District 3 Track & Field Champions,Boys Champs and 2nd place girls.
District Three Grade 5 Science Quizz Champs 2014/2015
The Marchand Combined School has its beginnings in a little dwelling house on the hill by the Sacred Heart Church. On 5th September 1955, its doors were opened to accommodate ninety-two (92) pupils, drawn from the area. The first Principal was Miss. Martine Fedee. Three years later two classes were moved to a temporary building on the Marchand Grounds known as the Scout Den. Classes from the R C Boys’ and Ave Maria Primary formed part of the school’s population. This was to alleviate overcrowding at these two schools. However, Mrs. Ofana Williams was put in charge and the school was officially under the head of the RC Boys’ and Ave Maria Primary, but operated independently. As the school’s population grew to 300, Bishop Charles Gachet saw the need for a school in the area, and another building, where the school presently stands, was erected in 1958 to hold 600 students.
The school was formally opened on 14 June 1959 with a roll of 500 students. Ms. Jane Quinlan now Mrs. Jane Quinlan Bourne was the first Principal in its present location. During her tenure as Principal from 1959 to 1960, much skill, tact and patience were used to create a unified working school climate. The staff included persons like Mr. Gregory Burton, Ms. Adeline Cooper, Ms. Roslyn Clyne, Ursula Etienne, and Mrs. Asgill. Ms. Quinlan notes with pride the concerts, bazaars with Father Joseph Vrignaud, the Manager, and the fact that the school had no serious disciplinary problems. The school’s population grew to 700 by 1960 at which time Ms. Quinlan left to further her studies in Scotland.